The history of Alcopa


1937

The start

Alcopa, which stands for Albert & Constance Participation, was founded in 1937 by Albert Moorkens and his wife Constance. The company concentrated on producing and distributing motorbikes from Kontich near Antwerp, where the company is still headquartered.

1960

Building the automotive pillar

In the late fifties, the group put extra focus on cars, with the import and even the assembly of BMWs at the Kontich location. During the sixties, Alcopa produced six different BMW models, including the very popular 300 (Isetta), the 1602 and the 2002.

1974

Expanding to new brands

The car-import branch later moved to importing new Asian brands, such as Mitsubishi (1974), Suzuki (1978) and Hyundai (1978). A pioneer in the field, Alcopa was the first company to sign a European distribution contract with Hyundai.

2010

A first foray into diversification

Alcopa diversified from its automotive origins by investing in sectors adjacent to its core business, distribution, and core geography, Belgium. Notably, Alcopa conducted multiple investments in the parts and accessories sector but also in the building materials segments, in Belgium, France and Luxemburg.

2018

Further expanding horizons

The last step of its transformation took place when Alcopa became a fully-fledged investment company. This new departure enables the company to act as a decentralized holding from the companies it invests in. In this way, Alcopa is expanding its investment horizon both in sectors and geographies.